St. John the Evangelist Catholic School (SJE) is a fully accredited Blue Ribbon School for students in grades Pre-K (3-year-old) through 8th grade, serving the communities of both Baltimore and Harford Counties in Maryland. Tucked in the rolling fields of the Long Green Valley community, St. John the Evangelist School was established in 1858.
A St. John education prepares students to be the faith-filled leaders of tomorrow for our communities, businesses, and the world. St. John the Evangelist School offers a nurturing environment, while promoting self-development, self-discovery, responsibility and service to others.
At a Glance
- U.S. Department of Education, National Blue Ribbon School (2017, Re-Accreditation in 2022)
- 100% of 2020-2021 8th Grade Students were accepted to their #1 high school choice
- Last year the 2020-2021 class received over $375,000 in scholarship money for their next school year (high school)
- 1:1 Computer Devices for Kindergarten through 8th Grade
- Smaller class settings, offering more individualized attention
- Close-knit/family community
- On-site assistance with mathematics and reading for students who need additional help
- Socially distanced classrooms; strict COVID-19 protocols (masks, hand sanitizer prior to entering each classroom, COVID testing site)
Learn More About St. John The Evangelist Catholic School
At a Glance: At. St. John LGV we proudly guide children to Christ through strong foundations in faith, academics, and service. To learn more about our Catholic School in Hydes, MD please visit our At a Glance page.
Letter From School Leadership:
Vision & Mission: St. John the Evangelist School is an Archdiocese of Baltimore Collaborative School that prepares students for success by providing a strong academic program, formation in Christian values and service, and diverse extra-curricular activities. To learn more please visit our vision & mission statement.
History & Tradition: In 1858, Saint John the Evangelist Catholic School started humbly in a small frame building located in Hydes, Maryland. In the 90 years since our founding our Parish and School have grown significantly. Learn more by visiting our history & tradition page.
Faculty & Staff: It is the ministry of Catholic educators to embody the faith in everything they do. They model and teach children how to form a personal relationship with Jesus and build a foundation for lifelong learning and discipleship. Meet our talented and dedicated faculty and staff!
School Board: It is Archdiocesan policy that every school have a school board, regardless of its model of governance. School boards are diverse and seek to reflect the student population, include community representation, and have persons with expertise related to school needs. Meet our school board members for this school year!